Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My 1000 dollar threshold

I’ve clicked though the dell website at least 100 times in the last 2 months, configuring a laptop. I think it’s purely because a laptop costs over 1000 dollars. When a product costs over a thousand dollars, I’ll scrutinize my choice like a dog looking for his own poop in the backyard. If its 900 dollars, I’ll accidentally buy it in the middle of a casual AIM conversation.

Money tolerance is weird. Here’s my price index

  • <$5 – (Don’t think about it): It’s cheap. Buy it, unless it’s a gallon of OJ
  • $5-$10 – (walk around the store 2 times): Well, I really wouldn’t spend on money on it, but if I have to, then so be it. Probably a 5 for 5 beef sandwiches, or a really big pizza
  • $10-$30 – (Spend at least 2 hours reading reviews): This better be a book, or a cheap video game. A REALLY good book
  • $30-$100 – (Just pay it, you will have to): Gas, Treating people out to dinner
  • $100-$500 – (Waste 100 hours, literally, on researching this thing) This thing better be a guitar, a huge monitor, extreme dental work, or car repair
  • $500-$1000 – (Buy immediately if it says ‘Fender’, ‘Gibson’, or ‘taylor’, else, gouge out eyes): This is a lot of hamburgers/ice cream, I better have a darn good reason for buying something in this range
  • $1000-$2000 - (Only buy if you receive sign from Divine power) – If this guitar hasn’t been played by at least 1 super star, I don’t want it. Maybe I might spend this money on a computer.
  • $2000+ I hope she’s worth it.

There are the drawbacks, of course. I bought about 300 dollars worth of Amazon books, priced about 6-15 dollars. Yes, I know. It’s a LOT of books. I have actually finished most of them. For example, I’m currently reading Dave Barry. If you don’t think Dave Barry is funny, I don’t think you are a fellow human.

So I’m thinking about a new policy:

  • Buy things that put you to sleep
    • Food – always induces a nap
    • Books – always induces a coma
    • Cars – you don’t have to walk to places, you just drive there, more time and energy to sleep
    • Beds – increased sleeping capacities
    • Girlfriends - *ahem* I’ll leave the explanation to your imagination
  • Don’t buy things that aggravate you
    • Bad movies
    • Mexican food
    • New ethnic food from far off country
    • Root Canals
    • Doctor’s checkups
    • Jobs – this makes sense, they pay YOU
    • Computers that go obsolete 10 mins after you buy them

Summary: I’m starting to invest in bed and sleeping accessories. My first one is a dictionary.

No comments: